FAQs about Gap Programs & COVID-19
We continue to monitor the global situation and remain in close contact with our friends and partners around the world. We are optimistic that we will resume international travel in 2021, albeit with an understanding that the virus will likely be with us for some time, and our experiences will look a bit different from the past.
We are reengaging with our programs under the premise that a possibility of exposure to COVID-19 is currently a part of our lives wherever we go.
We have spent the summer developing protocols and best practices alongside some of our industry peers and leaders. Ultimately, the well being of our staff, students, and local community members will determine which programs will operate. As a community of staff, participants, and community partners, we will work together to promote positive outcomes and success.
Below are a few of our fall and winter Gap program protocols and expectations participants should anticipate. We are in close communication with our friends and partners in Puerto Rico to collaborate and emphasize our shared priority in everyone’s well being.
- Smaller group travel- Our GAP programs will be capped at 16 participants and two group chaperones.
- Mandatory negative test results within 72 hours of arrival to Puerto Rico are required to enter Puerto Rico.
- Masks will be required and social distancing emphasized with any activities in public and with any partners.
- Daily temperature checks and tracking.
- Testing while on the program and the possibility of isolation and or quarantine.
- Disinfecting procedures for private lodging and transportation
- Behavioral expectations and guidelines that participants will be expected to adhere to.
You must complete an online application and submit a $700 deposit and $95 application fee to finalize your space. You can find our adult application here.
Registration for all Gap programs will be initially capped at 16 participants first come, first served. Any additional students will be placed on a waitlist. Your group will also have 2 Global Works leaders.
Global Works provides private accommodations in our home base at the ‘Big Yellow House’. Rooms are bunk style and the property has lots of outdoor space for meals and activities. We will also spend some time at a small hotel near Luquillo where only our group will be privately accommodated. For a few days, the group will be living on a catamaran. Our transportation will be primarily in modern 15 passenger vans.
Yes, Monday- Friday there will be the flexibility to access wifi and complete course work or attend an online class from our home base. Service projects and other activities will be options when not remote learning. This program best fits for those with a flexible schedule and a desire to engage in service work. It’s not uncommon for blackouts to occur or for temporary drops in wifi service. If you require very strict intensive online access and time each day, this may not be the program for you.
We understand that all of us face a unique environment regarding COVID-19, and travel conditions and restrictions beyond our control are a possibility. Like anywhere, the situation in Puerto Rico is fluid, and we will continue to monitor. In the event that Global Works cancels a Gap program due to COVID-19, or in cases where travel restrictions make travel to the destinations impossible, participants will receive a full refund of tuition paid and the deposit, less the $95 application fee or have the option to transfer to an available, future Global Works program. See complete information on our Gap Terms and Conditions page.
Cancellations made more than 75 days prior to departure result in a 50% tuition refund. For cancellations within 75 days prior to program start date through conclusion of the program, tuition is non-refundable for any reason.
It is each travelers responsibility to adhere to Puerto Rico’s entry requirements. You can stay up to date with Puerto Rico entry requirements here- travelsafe.pr.gov. Currently, Puerto Rico requires the following (updated 8/27/2020):
- Fill out a Travel Declaration Form prior to landing
- Arrive with proof of a negative molecular COVID-19 test (nasal or throat swab) result that has been -taken no more than 72 hours prior – testing sites have been identified here for mainland USA
- Travelers will automatically receive an Airport Exit Confirmation number and QR Code once their molecular test results have been uploaded to the Puerto Rico Health Department’s online portal.
We understand that these are unprecedented times for travel, and want to make sure that communication is transparent and open. We will continuously update you about your program, as situations involving COVID-19 evolve. If any questions ever come up, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at 303-545-2202 or email@example.com. We will also have a 24/7 emergency line available when participants are in the field.