Global Works Internship: Program Advisor
Location: El Futuro, San Carlos, Costa Rica
Duration: November 1, 2018 – August 31, 2019
Compensation: Living Stipend + Internship Perks
Job Type: Internship
About the Program Advisor Internship
Are you seeking an environment where you can make a positive social impact? Do you want to apply your communication and information technology skills to foster connection in a global community? At Global Works, we are seeking individuals who will contribute to providing life-changing travel experiences for high school students (SSA) and custom groups (CGT).
We are currently hiring a team of interns to join our consultative sales and marketing team in Costa Rica. You will work alongside experienced Global Works directors who will both train and mentor you in our programs, in-bound marketing, and consultative sales. A thorough training program will get you up to speed on GW’s mission, vision, and values so that you may best represent our company and instill trust when promoting our global programs to future travelers. You will often be the first point of contact with young adults and their parents (for Summer Service Adventure programs) and teachers or group leaders (for Custom Group Travel programs).
This internship is designed to give young professionals the opportunity to gain international work experience, learn Spanish, develop leadership and job skills through mentorship, and explore Costa Rica through the lens of sustainable tourism. Interns live with Costa Rican host families in El Futuro, a rural community in the region of San Carlos in the Alajuela Province. Interns work out of the GW office also located in El Futuro. It is 25 kilometers (about 30-40 minute drive) from the town of La Fortuna and Arenal National Park.
The Details and Expectations
As a Global Works Program Advisor you will be expected to regularly:
- Work as a team with GW Sales and Marketing Team, Director of Programs, and fellow interns in
- Maintain communication with staff in Global Works’ Colorado office.
- Speak with high school students and their parents (SSA) and/or teachers and group leaders
(CGT) who have expressed interest in our travel programs.
- Communicate the fun and transformative nature of GW travel and service learning programs.
- Provide answers to FAQ’s and descriptions of all GW programs.
- Transfer interested prospects to a director, as needed.
- Employ strong verbal and written communication skills, technical literacy, and a positive attitude
or, as we like to say, buenas vibras.
- Make on average 25-50 outbound calls per day, utilizing our calling software and systems.
- Create content and manage inbound marketing campaigns and social media platforms.
- Be engaged, innovative, and proactive!
In addition, throughout the internship you will also be expected to:
- Assist with program support, including, accompanying trip leaders on site visits to our partner
communities and organizations.
- Propose, design, and implement a passion project that benefits Global Works social media
presence and/or sustainable business practices.
- Develop skills and knowledge that will foster career advancement and future professional
opportunities in areas like sustainable tourism, international development, business, education,
non-profit management, and more.
- Identify personal and professional goals as they relate to the internship, participate in regular
performance appraisals and self-evaluations in order to monitor goal progress.
What We Expect from You
To be hired for this internship, applicants are expected to:
- Have an interest for customer service
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Be flexible and have a sense of humor
- Have a wonder for travel and how it can lead to self-discovery, perspective, and a passion for life
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Be highly motivated, proactive, and a problem solver
- Have a desire to learn about and improve upon your leadership and job skills
- Have some experience with CRM software, WordPress, MS Office Suite (or better yet, Google
Docs!), inbound marketing tools, and/or various social media platforms
Internship Perks Include:
- Group Lodging and three meals per day during the 2-week training
- One (1) group excursion during training
- Lodging with Costa Rican host family and two meals per day for the duration of the internship
- $400 monthly living stipend
- $1,500 performance bonus upon successful completion
- Flex-time schedule with 4-day work weeks
- All expenses paid site visits to GW’s program communities and partners in Costa Rica
- Potential visit to a program in action
- Small travel stipend for two (2) visa renewals
- Professional development workshops and overall supportive work environment
- GW schwag!
Internship Benefits Do Not Include:
- Round-trip airfare to and from Costa Rica for start and end of program (November & May)*
- Round-trip airfare from and back to Costa Rica (December break)
- Passport and visa fees*
- Travel Emergency Medical and Evacuation Insurance*
- Optional excursions; travel expenses during weekends and time off
*Required expenses. To pay for required, out-of-pocket expenses, grants and/or payment plan options are available
on a need basis.
October 1, 2018- Application portal opens, Interviews begin
October 31, 2018- Contracts signed and airfare reserved
November 1, 2018- Internship begins, Orientation to Program, On-site Training, Group Lodging
November 15, 2018- Move in with Host Family
December 24, 2018- January 4, 2019- Holiday Break
April 2019- Potential Site & Program Visits and/or Travel for Visa Renewal
May 31, 2019- Program Advisor Internship concludes
June -August, 2019- Potential add-on as GW Program Intern
Ready to Apply?!
We will be reviewing completed applications and offering positions on a rolling basis. This is a highly
competitive process and we will be considering all applicants carefully to ensure the best fit for the
internship. Internship offers will be made on a rolling basis; we aim to fill all positions by October 31, 2018.
Step 1: Submit Online Application
Complete and submit an online application. Include two references (1 professional, 1 personal).
Step 2: Email Cover Letter and Resume
Please email cover letter and current resume to email@example.com.
Step 3: Interviews
Once you complete Steps 1 & 2, we will review your application, cover letter, and resume. You must
complete Step 1 & Step 2 in order to be considered. If your application is selected, we will invite you
interview via phone or Skype.