Global Works Internship: Summer Service Adventures
Duration: 2 to 4 weeks during Summer Service Adventure dates plus staff training
Job Type: Internship
About the Summer Service Adventures Internship
The Global Works Summer Service Adventure Internship provides an opportunity to learn the skills needed to plan and lead a Global Works Summer Service Adventure. The intern will gain an immersive understanding of service learning international travel programs, sustainable community development projects, trip leader facilitation, and mentorship.
Expectations & Responsibilities
As a Global Works Summer Service Adventure intern you will be expected to:
- Participate in staff training in Boulder, Colorado.
- Communicate with home office, leaders and participants prior to the program.
- Gain extensive knowledge about the program destination, itinerary, and logistical details of travel prior to your trip.
- Fly with participants on group flights (both arrival and return). Assist in airport on travel days.
- Participate in all aspects of program, facilitate the learning experience and encourage personal growth for both the students and oneself through team building activities and group debriefs.
- Update Trip Journal blog posts, and social media.
- Build relationships; employ strong communication skills and a positive attitude or, as we like to say, buenas vibras.
- Read, understand, and abide by the Global Works Staff Manual. Be responsible for knowing, reinforcing, and supporting the Global Works Risk Management Protocols and Guidelines, ensuring everyone’s safety and welfare, including your own. Exercise reasonable judgment at all times.
- Complete a Performance Appraisal post-program and provide evaluation and feedback of GW Summer Service Adventure Internship
Be engaged, innovative, and proactive!
- Develop skills and knowledge that will foster career advancement and future professional opportunities in areas like sustainable tourism, international development, business, education, non-profit management, and more.
- Identify personal and professional goals as they relate to the internship, participate in regular performance appraisals and self-evaluations in order to monitor goal progress.
What We Expect from You
To be hired for this internship, applicants are expected to:
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have the ability to work independently and as a team member
- Have a wonder for travel and how it can lead to self-discovery, perspective, and a passion for life
- Be highly motivated, proactive, and a problem solver
- Not be eligible to be a student on a Global Works program (ie. summer after senior year of high school)
- Have a high degree of Spanish or French proficiency
- Hold an Adult First Aid/ CPR certification. Advanced medical training (WFR/ WFA/EMT) and/ or water/ life-guarding certification are strongly recommended
- Be enthusiastic and motivated, a nice human being; have a positive attitude and good sense of humor
- Have a desire to be hired as a Global Works leader in the future (Note that employment after the internship is not guaranteed.)
Internship Perks Include:
- Group Lodging and meals during staff training, May 30- June 1, 2020
- All meals, activities, transportation and lodging during program dates
- Airfare to Summer Service Adventures group flight hub (does not apply if not flying on group flight)
- Airfare to/ from Summer Service Adventures program destination (does not apply if not flying on group flight)
- GW schwag!
Internship Benefits Do Not Include:
- Passport and visa fees
- Emergency Medical and Evacuation Insurance
- Travel/ airfare expenses to staff training in Boulder, Colorado
- Optional excursions; travel expenses during time off
November 1, 2019 – Application portal opens
March 2, 2020- Applicants selected for interview, notifications via email
March 9-13, 2020 – Interviews
March 30, 2020- Internship offers announced, notifications via email
April 15, 2020- Contracts signed and airfare reserved
May 30- June 1, 2020- Staff training, Boulder, Colorado
June- August, 2020- Internship
Sept. 14-18, 2020- Performance Appraisals via Skype or Google Hangouts
Ready to Apply?!
We will be reviewing completed applications and offering positions on a rolling basis. This is a highly
competitive process and we will be considering all applicants carefully to ensure the best fit for the
internship. We aim to fill all positions by March 30, 2020.
Step 1: Submit Online Application
Complete and submit an online application. Include two references (1 professional, 1 personal).
Step 2: Email Cover Letter and Resume
Please email current resume, cover letter, and a photo to email@example.com.
Step 3: Interviews
Once you complete Steps 1 & 2, we will review your application, cover letter, and resume. You must complete Step 1 & Step 2 in order to be considered. If your application is selected, we will invite you to interview via Google Hangouts or Skype.